Friday, September 24, 2010

Pears and Pooches


I went to the Farmer's Market yesterday after class and got an eggplant, two pears, and a tomato--I know, not very much. I am terrified of the eggplant. What do you do with eggplants? Exactly. I told the man that it pricked my finger and he laughed and said, "watch out, they bite!" I'll say. Moving on, the pears looked delicious so I decided to freeze and preserve them so that I will have local yummy pears in the winter. You could (and should) do this with any fruits you pick up at farmer's markets right now. It's a great way to have good fruit in the winter and it helps to reduce transportation emissions during colder months.



If you google "how to freeze fruit" it gives you a whole lot of nonsense and sweeteners and steps so that they will taste alright later. However, I read somewhere (in a magazine I can no longer find) that you can simply wash, dry, cut, place on cookie sheets and then freeze for 24 hours (I believe). When this is done then you can place them in a freezer safe container and thaw later. Perfect no?

Now to diverge completely, here are some adorable pictures of my doggy.





My boo.

1 comment: