Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Old Soul


So..this past week has been very scary and eye opening, to say the least. I'm not going to mention specifically, but I had a little crime mishap that's left me shaken. It really makes me understand what is really important though, and that safety and calm should always take precedence over fun and convenience. Anywho, because of the on-going bug situation combined with the aforementioned additional problems, I have been a very busy little person. School starts tomorrow and despite getting here a week and a half early, I might as well have moved in this morning. My room is still in disarray from the constant shuffling of items, blah blah blah.

I was reading a "Whole Living" magazine that my aunt brought me a few days ago, and I tore out a page with a few "Thoughts On Whole Living." I'll list my favorites and maybe others that read them can relate to them as well:

1. Your body already knows how to heal itself, you just have to get out of its way.
2. Go ahead--vent a little, think of it as detox for the soul.
3. When you can appreciate being alone, you're rarely lonely.
4. Clutter is the by-product of indecision. Make sure everything in your space is there because you chose to keep it.
5. True sufficiency doesn't mean having plenty; it means having enough.
6. Pay attention to how you walk. Ask yourself what you're rushing toward or away from.
7. Transform anxiety into excitement; focus not on the fear of what lies ahead but the possibilities you might create.

And most importantly:

8. Lead with your heart, not your ego.


The electricity was out all evening, so my roomate and I finally visited the coffee shop around the corner and promptly fell in love. With all of the chaos lately, it was nice to sit there among the used books and old sofas and feel safe.

My dad was right the other day when we were on the phone and he said that I am just "an old soul." It's true, all I want is a little apartment with a great dog and a full bookshelf. Someone else can take the parties and the noise and the running around on weekends for themselves.

1 comment: