Thursday, January 20, 2011

Snow.

There is so much of it.

I thought it was just me that always thought this, but I heard a guy walking past me today say, "No matter which way you're walking it is always blowing right in your face." Brilliant. I have proposed this theory to a lot of people and they just think I'm bitter. A moment later I saw a puppy on campus and that never happens...God must have liked me this afternoon or something.  

I worked tonight and got to videotape an artist lecture. Basically, I was propped up in the back and managed to miss the beginning of the lecture when he was introduced because I didn't know what he looked like. I hurriedly turned the camera on and fidgeted with the tilt (which didn't really work) and the zoom and tried to maneuver the tripod they gave me so that it would pan. I would frame it and then the tripod head would come to life and move off-center. So many terrible noises will be on that tape. Points for Leah. Afterwards, I put everything away and went into the back where I exchanged several awkward moments with the artist. After listening to his comments and watching slides of his work I have developed a few more opinions about art (I'm not sure what my previous opinions were):

1. I like art a lot more when the artist is explaining it to me rather than me trying to make something up on my own or pull meaning out of the title. This being said, I think art is in a monogamous relationship with its creator--meaning--best understood by them and possibly never fully understood by others.

2. Art exhibits are much more enjoyable at night when it's quiet, empty, and I don't have to worry that the pace of my meandering is being judged by the "real" artists around me.

3. Art seems more significant during the doldrums of winter.

4. Sometimes the most unlikely of people are artists--it gives me comfort to look at a normal-looking Joe who has created something amazing.

3 comments:

  1. That's cool. Did you videotape it on your own or were you asked by someone to do it? I want to see it. Maybe the noise and all will make it more interesting.

    I especially agree with point #1. But the exciting part is when you find that artist that you do connect with. Then you don't need an explanation. It makes sense without anything said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, the tape would put you to sleep because it is a one hour shot of the stage :) but someday I'll get to do something more exciting. You would love to Wexner Center. Have I ever taken you to it? Next time you visit we should go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, one of a kind video from Leah!

    ReplyDelete